Biography of

Raymond the second son of English parents, was born at Sus near Navarrenx, in the Bearn region of France. His surname was Grant de Longueuil. He would give up the Grant in the 60s. His father, a professional soldier, was the 10th Baron de Longueuil, and had eloped with his mother, Ernestine Bowes Lyon at the end of the First Word War. Raymond died on the 6 October 2004, in Navarrenx.

Raymond de Longueuil went to school in Pau, then by family tradition to Elizabeth College in Guernsey. This was interrupted by the outbreak of the Second World War. He arrived in Britain as a refugee on the fall of France. He joined up as a volunteer and became a Lieutenant in 1943. He was sent to India, he had always sketched and painted, but it was in India where he began sketching seriously, mainly the life in Hindu and Muslim villages, as well as the Himalyas.

 

The Family Home in NAVARRENX

On being demobbed in 1946, he married and had a son, attending the art school in Nottingham for a time. He then moved to Cambridge to work in the blood transfusion service from 1951 to 1953 , and to study at the Art School in the evenings. In 1953 his father broke his hip, so he was summoned back to Navarrenx, where he quickly established himself as a full time artist. This early period shows work entirely in gouache of the intimate family life at home.

During 1954, Raymond worked with the parisian artist, Armand Petit Jean, at Garlin, near Pau. Raymond brought his work for criticism and advice. His work at the time was mainly "still life" in watercolour and charcoal. In october 1954 he brought a copy of Andre Lhotès "Treatise on the Countryside", so impressed by this critical work, he came to consider this his artist's bible

 

 

In 1957, he stopped working with Armand Petit Jean to branch out on his own and establish himself. He travelled to Port Vendres, the Côte Vermille, Spain (Majorca-Sitgès-Burgos), as well as the nearby valleys of the Pyrenees on painting projects, returning with a vast quantity of impressive work.

From 1959 to 1964, he was very productive working mainly from his home studio in Navarrenx. He gradually freed himself of his early cubist influences, returning to an impressionist interpretation with th skills learnt in his cubist studies

Raymond at OLORON'market

In 1967, the landscapes and figurative work evolues into a carefully constructed "Blue Abstraction" period
Raymond de Longueuil has presented work in the galleries of the left bank in Paris. He refused to work "to order" and be influenced by popular demand. He wanted to evolue his own style and was adamant he was not going to be restricted by consumerism.
In 1954, he exhibited with local groups of artists. Between 1958 and 1970 he exhibited regulary throughout each year. In 1976, he was exhibited for two months at the National Museum of Fine Arts in Pau. From then, he gradually withdrew from regular exhibitions until 1980 when he exhibited annually in Navarrenx.

Raymond de Longueuil was originally Raymond David Grant. His elder brother was lost on active service over the North Sea in 1942. Therefore, Raymond became 11th Baron de Longueuil on the death of his father in 1959.

The name of Longueuil originates from the seventeenth century early french settlers of Canada. Two members of the Grant family married successive generations of the Le Moyne de Longueuil family in the eighteeth century

---HOME --------